Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quote Explanatory

   Many people stress the importance of resillience: "Fall seven times, stand up eight." (Japanese proverb) If everyone gave up on doing something if they didn't do well the first time, the world would be full of losers, people who have never accomplished anything. The only reason the world is full of people with great accomplishments is because they learned from their mistakes and moved on: our world depends on resilience.
     Even after surviving terrible hardships, people still managed to emerge victorious. George Washington and his troops had to survive many hardships the winter before the Delaware river crossing: t they had to find ways to keep warm, they had to ration food down to the smallest portions, and many of the men died from the bitter cold. Although they ould have given up and gone back the way they came, towards food and shelter, the soldiers did not surrender: they kept on tolerating the cold, until the opportunity to cross the Delaware river arose. The soldiers immediately took it, and they soon saw the better side of staying in the cold camp and waiting for so lond: they were avle to launch a successfull surprise attack upon the British.
    When I started my table tennis lessons, I was horrible: I couldn't even bounce the ball on the paddle five times! But even though I was completely terrible at table tennis, I kept practicing, and I started getting better and better. Every time I dropped the ball, I would just pick it up and start again. Eventually, I could rally (hit the ball back and forth on the table) with an older player about fourty times if I tried really hard. From this expirience, I learned that trying hard and getting back on your feet to try again is the only way to learn or get good at something.
    Resilience is the only thing that keeps human beings in a constant path of progress: if we didn't keep trying after we fail, nobody would be able to accomplish or learn anything. Truly, standing up after falling in many ways is the key to progress and learning.

4 comments:

  1. Good job. I too believe without persistance, and never giving up nobody would ever reach there
    goals. I liked how you had included your experience on table tennis. I too tryed to learn in gym but did not succed. I had planned on trying to get better but dodgeball and weight lifting seems a bit more intriging to me. Good post, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Alisa. Your personal and social experiances were great. I'm not sure, but you personal might have to go first. You should have included another quote in the last paragraph. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it!! So much detail and it may be too many reasons. But you have a great amount of experience with writing because it's phenomenal. This is the most interesting story I’ve read so far and I'm sure you have more to write. You could become a great writer some day. You can be famous with your talent and write your own books. You have some letters missing in some words and some letters added into your sentences. Keep up the great work and don't give up. "FANTASTIC."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, Alisa. I liked how you used table tennis for your personal example. That example isn't very common. I'm not that good at table tennis,and if I practiced as much as you, I might get better. I also liked your societal example, too. I used the Japanese proverb as well. One way to improve this piece is by fixing some spelling mistakes. Overall, great job as always.

    ReplyDelete