Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dear Santa,








You have always been the hero of Christmas, and without you, Christmas wouldn’t be the holiday some kids, like me, strongly treasure. You have always given kids the toys they dreamed of, and most importantly, something to believe in.The Christmas gift I’m wishing you’ll give me is any remote-controlled Air Hogs helicopter or airplane. With all my hard work in 2010, in school or out of school, I feel that I deserve to get the toy that I have always wanted as a reward.


I have been interested in airplanes, helicopters, and their valiant pilots for a long time. In fourth grade, I did a project on Amelia Earhart, and I learned how brave you had to be to just casually hop into an airplane and start it up and get flying. Later, in fifth grade, I was rather surprised to find out that one of my favorite authors, Roald Dahl was a fighter pilot in World War II before his writing career. These are two heroes of my life, Amelia Earhart and Roald Dahl, and they both led me to my fascination in airplanes and helicopters.


As you may know, some toys prove to be more durable than others, and this can be quite frustrating. On my eleventh birthday, I got a flying pterodactyl made of soft foam. The minute I tried flying it, my piloting “skills” failed me, the pterodactyl crashed right into a wall, and the propeller broke off like it was glued to the tail with a tiny dot of Elmer’s Glue. Air Hogs helicopters and airplanes are made of sturdy plastic, and they offer more control over the aircraft, so there is less of a risk of the toy crashing into something, and even if it crashes, the helicopter/airplane wont momentarily break down and tumble to the floor in a million pieces.


Learning to fly and control a mini airplane/helicopter could also help me get better at hand-eye coordination, because I would have to learn to look at the airplane/helicopter’s position in the air, and almost instantaneously make adjustments with the controller. Learning to fly the airplane/helicopter would also provide me with a fun activity to do in my free time, and would replace watching television or playing computer games.


Even though it seems almost impossible, I believe that you will be able to deliver all the gifts you have been getting ready this year to all the happy girls and boys who wanted them, and I ask you not to forget to come to our house this year. If there were no presents under our Christmas tree this year, my little brother would throw a tantrum.






Alisa Lytvyn

3 comments:

  1. Very nice job alisa! i loved how you supported the fact that this is not all just want demand it is also neeed, and it could help you in your hand cooridination and oppsoing to burning youre brain on t.v.. i have flown one of these vechilesm and they are simply AMAZING! you have great control over it and it is very durable,as i said very nice job and i hope santa can give you this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Alisa. You really put yor heart in it. Your passage is so long. I wish mine was that long. I can tell you didn't do that last minute. You probably spent all night on it. Great job, you did fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great story about helicopters. I too also like many flying objects but they are mostly animals. I also like the facts you gave of why you need this present. I too have my own flying helicopter and it is amazing to see an object up in the air and running. You did the most wonderful job yet.

    ReplyDelete