Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Rapid Growth of Bugs

     Today, on my way back from gym, I saw a crowd of students, looking and pointing at a wall. When I looked at the top of the wall, I saw a praying mantis, and it was at least six inches long!

   What could have caused this giant bug to spring up? Could this gargantutar insect be the result of a mutation or some other cause? But as I came to the side of the school to wait for the bus a little later that afternoon, I saw a crowd gathered around another spectacle: another supersised bug, this time a cricket about two and a half inches long! But weirdest of all, the cricket was missing a leg. This points to the idea of the cricket having a mutation.

   But how could it be possible- two mutated bugs, at the same time, in the same area? Then, another idea creeped into my head: could global warming be causing the smaller insect species to grow? That would be a reasonable explanation, because bugs flourish in warm weather, and this afternoon was warmer than normal. I even saw a monarch butterfly flying around outside, dancing in the breeze while it should have already migrated to Mexico! We can only guess what is happenning, or if it will get worse. Lets all hope that in ten years, we wont have crickets the size of cars!

No comments:

Post a Comment